THE JIM MACCARTHY COHO SOCIETY SCHOLARSHIP
DEADLINE FOR 2018 APPLICATIONS: MAY 18, 2018
Description of the Award
The Jim MacCarthy Coho Society Scholarship Award was established in 2014 in memory of Jim MacCarthy who resided and participated in the life of West Vancouver for over sixty years.
Jim was known as “Mr. Coho”, and led the Coho Society of the North Shore to unprecedented success. Jim was a true gentleman and had the extraordinary natural ability to bring people together to reach a common goal. Under Jim’s leadership, several hundred thousand dollars was raised to support environmental programs and projects on Vancouver’s North Shore. Jim was a steadfast supporter of the environment, and believed in giving back to the community.
The Coho Society, which was founded in 1979, is a volunteer environmentally based organization. The goals and objectives of the Society are to raise funds for the protection and revitalization of salmon streams on the North Shore, and to support public education in the stewardship of salmon habitat on the North Shore.
Administered by the Coho Society of the North Shore, this $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student graduating from a Secondary School in North or West Vancouver, and proceeding to a post-secondary degree program.
In order to be considered for the Jim MacCarthy Coho Society Scholarship, a student must:
- Be graduating from a Secondary School in North or West Vancouver
- Be a Canadian Citizen. or Landed Immigrant
- Intend to enroll in a post-secondary institution in Canada
- Submit an essay of no more than 500 words describing the impact s/he has made to the stewardship of the natural environment on the North Shore of Vancouver.
- Evidence of significant contribution to Environmental Stewardship on the North Shore.
- Have demonstrated leadership and volunteerism in school and/or community service.
Application Form Checklist
- One letter of reference from your school
- One letter of reference from your community
- Completed Application Form COHO Jim MacCarthy Scholarship Application
- Your typed essay
- Your complete application package must submitted by midnight May 18th, 2018 and include the following: One original application with an official transcript of grades including provincial exam results for grades 10, 11 and 12. (Students should submit available transcripts and mid-term marks for their grade 12 subjects not yet completed.)
- Submit to: email@example.com Questions can be directed to Coho Society Director Nicole Brown (604)765-2025.
Congratulations to Tyler Legg from Rockridge Secondary – The recipient of the Jim MacCarthy Coho Society Scholarship Award for 2017. Check out the winning application.