Jim MacCarthy Coho Society Scholarship
The Jim MacCarthy Coho Society Scholarship Award was established in 2014 in memory of Jim MacCarthy who resided and participated in the life of West Vancouver for over sixty years.
Jim was known as ‘Mr. Coho’, and led the Coho Society of the North Shore to unprecedented success. Jim was a true gentleman and had the extraordinary natural ability to bring people together to reach a common goal. Under Jim’s leadership, several hundred thousand dollars was raised to support environmental programs and projects on Vancouver’s North Shore. Jim was a steadfast supporter of the environment, and believed in giving back to the community.
Administered by the Coho Society of the North Shore this $1,200 scholarship will be awarded to a student graduating from a Secondary School in North or West Vancouver and proceeding to a post-secondary degree program.
In order to be considered for the Jim MacCarthy Coho Society Scholarship, a student must:
- Be graduating from a secondary school located in North or West Vancouver
- Be a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant
- Intend to enroll in a post-secondary institution in Canada
- Submit an essay of no more than 500 words describing the impact s/he has made to the stewardship of the natural environment on Vancouver’s North Shore.
- Evidence of significant contribution to the environmental stewardship on the North Shore
- Has demonstrated leadership and volunteerism in school and/or community service
- One letter of reference from your school
- One letter of reference from your community
- Your typed essay
- Copy of official transcript of grades including provincial exam results for grades 10, 11 and 12
Submission deadline: March 31st midnight
- Submissions will be reviewed by the Coho Society of the North Shore board members
- Winning selection will be announced by June 1st each year and notified by phone.
- Recipient should be willing to accept award publicly at festival or ceremony.